Friday, August 24, 2012

A Break In The Rain...


At around noon today (Thursday), I started coming to. The better part of my night had been wakeful (appears my insomnia is swinging back by for a visit). I was able to catch a few hours snooze time, starting around 8:00 AM. I suppose that's better than nothing.

As I said, I began to stir around noon time. Per usual, I looked out the window. (I sleep with my head right by a window.) Like most days lately, it was overcast. As I left dreamland and traveled through the Alpha State, I heard thunder booming outside. I stretched my limbs a bit, gearing to get up and at it. Well, as 'at it' as my brain and body would allow. Just as I was sitting up, the sky opened up. Torrential rain showered down, the pounding drops creating that rhythmic music I love. I could very easily have let the rain put me back to sleep, but I fought the momentary urge. Figured I would get up, and enjoy the day. I love days of rain.  I wish all days were like that.

(A few shots of the Confederate Jasmine that grows  screened porch door)
Several hours passed, and the rain subsided. The cloud layer remained. I decided to head outside for some pictures before the rain started again.

I love the smell of the rain. Such an earthy aroma. Gaia getting cleansed. Nature taking a shower.

(Some of the larger trees along the bank of the tidal creek)

 "Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; 
without rain, there would be no life."

~ John Updike


"I am sure it is a great mistake always to know enough to go in when it rains. One may keep snug and dry by such knowledge, but one misses a world of loveliness."

~ Adeline Knapp

(Dogwoods...the main trees around here that are starting to show signs of approaching Autumn)

"The rain began again. It fell heavily, easily, with no meaning or intention but the fulfillment of its own nature, 
which was to fall and fall."

~ Helen Garner


"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby."

~ Langston Hughes

(A large Pine tree located right outside the porch...I was headed back inside, but something  told me I needed to take a picture of the vines crawling up the Pine tree's bark...that's when I noticed the empty shell of a Cicada...it's the second Cicada shell I have found attached to tree bark; one last season, and one this season...it's supposedly not uncommon to find a cluster of the shells, but I have yet to)

Rain
By Shel Silverstein

I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand -
I might overflow
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said -
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment