Friday, June 3, 2011

R.I.P. James Arness...





Known to many as sheriff Matt Dillon on TV's western series "Gunsmoke", actor James Arness died today of natural causes at the age of 88. (For the next time you play Trivial Pursuit, Arness was brother to another actor, Peter Graves, who did in March of last year of a heart attack at age 83.)

As I said, most know him for his role on "Gunsmoke", but I remember him for a classic science fiction film called "The Thing From Another World" (since I'm a sci-fi geek). At a tall 6'6", Arness was quite effective as the thawed out alien. Thought I would give James a parting nod, and share this nicely put together video based on the film that I found on YouTube. The movie was later re-made by director John Carpenter..."The Thing" starring Kurt Russell. The re-make is a great film in it's own right, but the original is well worth a look if you haven't seen it. Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment